- Notable Past Players
- About Us
- Tournament Update
The Royal Melbourne Golf Club was duly constituted at Scott's Hotel on 22nd May, 1891 with Sir James McBain as President, John Bruce as Captain and 73 foundation members.
The very first course was laid out by Tom Finlay near the Caulfield Railway Station and was opened for play on 4th July 1891. The privilege of adding the term "Royal" to the Club's name was granted by Queen Victoria in 1895.
The West Course was designed by the renowned golf architect, Dr Alister Mackenzie during his visit to Melbourne in October 1926. Dr Mackenzie worked with Alex Russell and Head Greenkeeper Mick Morcom.
The East Course was designed by Alex Russell as architect with Mick Morcom in charge of construction and was ready for play in 1932.
In 1959 when Royal Melbourne was asked to hold the Canada Cup (now the World Cup) and galleries of up to 20,000 were expected, it was decided to use 18 holes in the home paddock. So the Composite Course was developed involving 12 West Course and 6 East Course holes. This course has been regularly rated in the top 10 of the world's best courses.
The Eisenhower Cup was held on the Composite Course in 1968. Amateur golfers from 27 nations played in this event.
The Open Championship has been played on the West Course twice, on the East Course twice and on the Composite Course five times. There have been approximately twenty major events on the Composite Course and most of the world's greatest players have competed on it.
There are 2 regular courses, East and West, and a Composite course which is used only for members events and tournaments.
Par for the East Course is Mens - 71, Ladies - 74.
There are two courses of eighteen holes each, an East and West course. Also there is a Championship Course (the Composite Course) made up of twelve holes of the west course and six holes of the east course. The Composite Course is currently rated No.6 in the world.
The signature hole for Royal Melbourne is the 5th West hole.